Monday, January 12, 2009

Tony Dungy Retires from NFL

Today, former football player and head coach Tony Dungy retires from NFL. He was part of the Steelers in the late 1970s as a defensive back and the first ever African american coach to win the Super Bowl in Super Bowl XLI against the Chicago Bears. To the NFL, this will be a great loss to the league. A good coach and a great man, I don't think the league could of asked more of Dungy. During his press conference, Dungy said, "My wife and I talked, and we just felt it was the right time. I think I've got a chance to do some things down the road. I think I've got a responsibility to be home a little more." I agree on Dungy's decision. He wants to be home and with his family and I believe he deserves it.

The Colts' coaching staff will be changed. Assistant head coach Jim Caldwell will step in, after being announced that Caldwell would be Dungy's replacement last year. I think Caldwell will do well and keep this organization going, but won't make such a big impact on the organization as Tony Dungy has.

No comments:

Post a Comment